Thursday, June 4, 2009

Famous Gem Stones




The greatest diamond find of the 20th century had to be the Cullinan diamond.

It was discovered at the Premier Mine in Transvaal, South Africa on January 25, 1905 by the surface manager, 'Daddy' Wells. This find was happenstance as he saw a glint in the yellow ground of the side wall of the mine and went to remove it with his pen knife.

The rough diamond weighed 3,106 carats and measured approximately 4" long and 3" high with a total weight of just over 1.33 lbs.

The Cullinan diamond was named after Sir Thomas Cullinan, who was the chairman of the mining company. He had sent the diamond to Johannesburg with the rest of the week's production, and it remained on the London market for nearly 2 years because nobody wanted to buy it.


The Transvaal government bought the rough diamond at the suggestion of General Louis Botha, the Prime Minister, and presented it to King Edward VII on his 66th birthday on November 9, 1907.

The King decided to entrust the diamond cutting to Joseph Asscher and Company of Amsterdam, who had previously cut the Excelsior. Joseph transported the diamond rough in his pocket over the English Channel on a steamboat, while the reporters were being told that the diamond was being sent via post.

The division of the Cullinan stone yielded 9 major stones and 96 small brilliant stones yielding 1,063 carats - recovering 34.25% of the original weight.

Asscher retained the numbered stones III - V and VII to XI along with the 96 smaller diamonds as a fee for cutting and polishing the Cullinan. All of these diamonds were purchased by the South African government and given to Queen Mary in 1910.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Oooh goodness in his POCKET? My, my. Where are they all now? I can't help thinking I wish the thing had been left whole, as a curiosity/unique thing. I can't actually see the diamond clearly, though can see the size. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the Cullinan diamond. My mother was into diamonds. She wore a diamond ring on every finger. When she passed away she left me twelve diamond rings. No, she only had eight fingers and two thumbs.

    There so many facets to this story/diamond. Oh that was so bad, but I just could not resist it. Lol. Interesting account though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn - I've got much more info on the whereabouts of them all, plus some of the most interesting diamonds (I think anyway) in the world - so stay tuned, I'm going to try to put up the stories daily... we'll see if I can manage that - I'm hoping yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bard - Nice to hear from you! Your mother must have been very special to you. I'm sorry for your loss.
    The Cullinan was really an amazing stone and it is totally fascenating for sure! I hope you check back often because my plan is to post more about all of the stones that came from this diamond and lots more to come! (feel free to reply back with all the witty retort you wish - I love it!)

    ReplyDelete